Organized in 1924, the firm was headed by Ray C. Shook and Howard C. Brotherson. In 1932 the company acquired a route from Hale Motor Express Service from Gary to Elkhart, Indiana through South Bend and Mishawaka.
In early 1937 new general offices and terminal in South Bend, Indiana were built at 2025 South Main Street. Forty employees were working at that terminal. Previously the offices were located in South Bend at 859 South Fellows Street.
In 1956 F & S had Terminals at Fort Wayne, Elkhart, Goshen, LaPorte and Chicago. During the same year the company was acquired by Navajo Freight Lines.