In 1935 the company purchased Corn Belt Transportation Company (Chicago, IL) and Merchants Cartage Company (Galesburg, IL). These acquisitions enabled Burlington to have routes between Chicago and Omaha.
The Burlington sold its bus operations in 1945 but retained its truck operations. In 1945 the Trucking Division Of Burlington Transportation Company changed its name to Burlington Truck Lines.. Headquartered in Galesburg, Illinois by 1953 had 244 employees in that city, including 3 officers, 11 department heads, 11 supervisors, 60 office workers, 67 linehaul drivers, 42 mechanics, 16 city drivers and 34 dockman. The fleet consisted of 800 pieces of equipment, operated in 7 states over 5,324 miles of routes from Chicago to Denver and Billings, Montana. Maintenance shops were located in Galesburg, Ottumwa, Omaha, Denver, Cicero (Chicago) and Greybull, Wyoming.
Terminals in 1953 were in the following locations:
– Illinois: Galesburg, Chicago, Kewanee, Macomb, Peoria, Rock Island and Quincy
– Iowa: Burlington, Centerville, Charlton, Crestor, Des Moines, Keokuck, Knoxville, Oslaloosa, Ottumwa, Red Oak and Shenandoah
– Nebraska: Hastings, Lincoln, McCook and Omaha
– Missouri: Kansas City, St Joseph and St Louis
– Wyoming: Casper and Greybull
– Colorado: Denver
– Montana: Billings