The earliest history found about the company came from June 1940. At that time Kimbel was providing direct daily service between Monroe, Louisiana and Chicago, Illinois via Peoria, Illinois St Louis, Missouri East St Louis, Illinois Cape Girardeau, Missouri Memphis, Tennessee Little Rock, Arkansas Pine Bluff, Arkansas and Monticello, Arkansas. The Monroe terminal was located at 1312 De Siard Street.
In 1942 the St. Louis terminal was at 1109 South 4th Street. It was a small 5 door terminal that in January 1952 was sold to Egyptian Freight Ways, Inc, of Herrin, Illinois.
In May 1946 the Chicago terminal was at 2243 South Union Street.
In December 1950 land was purchased in St. Louis for a new terminal at the corner of Second and Lynch.
During the 1950’s Kimbel had operations in the following terminals: Memphis, Tennessee 205 S Parkway West, Chicago Illinois 4411 S Pulaski Rd, Peoria, Illinois 107 Hamilton Blvd, Cape Girardeau Missouri 3 Poplar Av, St Louis Missouri 225 Lynch St, North Little Rock Arkansas 201 South Olive
Delta Motor Lines, Inc. of Jackson, Mississippi contracted to purchase Kimbel Lines. Delta operated from New Orleans to Memphis with 150 trucks, 200 tractors and 375 trailers. Delta had 12 terminals in Mississippi, one in Memphis and one in New Orleans.
ICC approval came in May 1958 and as such Delta became the fourth carrier to have a direct New Orleans- Chicago route. The others were Gordon’s Transports, Campbell 66 Express and Viking Freight Company.