Remember that list of early drivers that worked for Briggs in the early days? Many of those same men were awarded Safe Driving Awards in 1960! They were Ivan Stendahl, Oscar Lovilien, Norval Sesvold, Omer Stendahl, Clarence Briggs, Paul Lovilien, William Ball, Oilman Haug, Eugene Smith, Hensel Jacobson, Edward Bautch and Edward Halverson.
Briggs announced in April 1960 that the company would acquire McCoy Truck Lines, Inc. with terminals at Waterloo, Iowa Des Moines, Iowa Mason City, Iowa Minneapolis, Minnesota and Chicago, Illinois. The later two locations would be consolidated into existing Briggs terminals when Icc approved the merger.
In August 1960 a new terminal opened in Madison, Wisconsin at 2116 Pennsylvania Avenue with 8 doors. The previous location was at 2002 East Johnson Street. Also, the LaCrossse, Wisconsin terminal at 1939 Ward Avenue was expanded to 12 doors.
Al Koepp, who joined Briggs in 1956 when he was the former Vice-President of Koepp Truck Lines, was promoted to terminal manager at Roseville, Minnesota.
In 1961 a new terminal opened in Duluth, Minnesota. Briggs now had 16 terminals. By 1965 there were 926 vehicles in the Briggs fleet and over 1,000 employees. New terminals opened in Albert Lea, Minnesota and Mason City, Iowa with 12 doors to replace a smaller one.
It was reported in 1966 that during the past several years the La Crosse terminal had been expanded. The accounting offices had been remodeled and one hundred additional feet added to the dock.
In 1967 Briggs acquired Robertson Transportation Co. of Madison, Wisconsin with other terminals at Milwaukee, Monroe, Baraboo, La Crosse and Chicago. In LaCrosse, operations were consolidated to the Robertson terminal at 111 Causeway Boulevard. Final approval to complete the purchase came from the ICC on December 21.
Chicago operations were moved from 4920 South Central Avenue to Joliet Road in Hodgkin, Illinois. Andrew Ambli, who joined Briggs in 1941, was named Vice-President of Maintenance. Omer Stendhal, a 33 year driver, was honored for 2 million safe miles of driving.
1968 produced yet another acquisition, this time westward! Peterson & Petersen, Inc. of Grand Island, Nebraska was acquired in 1968. Terminals in the Briggs system were added in Grand Island, Omaha, Kearney, Lincoln, Scottsbluff and North Platte.
Quite a lot of activity for Briggs during 1969 with promotions of personnel, an acquisition into new territory and momentum for growth. Among the promotions were Robert J. Davis becoming Central Division Manager, John Elmore to Vice President Of the t Paul- Minneapolis Division and David S. Conklin became Northern Division Manager.
New terminals were opened at Omaha, Nebraska and Janesville, Wisconsin. Briggs began serving Denver, Colorado after purchasing a portion of the operating rights of Northeastern Motor Freight, Inc.